11.23.2008

my first sermon

On Thursday I had the opportunity to preach for the first time. I preached in the student led chapel we have here at North Central. The topic for my first sermon...obedience. In 1 Samuel 15, Saul did not completely obey God. I taught on obeying God completely. It was such a great experience because and I had so much fun doing it too. God really used what I said to touch some of the students. I have a long way to go still but I was happy for my first time.

Because my sermon fell on the week of the Ohio State vs. Michigan game, I wore a scarlet and gray sweater vest in honor of Jim Tressel. I had been very nervous to preach for the first time but as I began to prepare God seemed to take away all my nerves. It was a great conformation that God's call on my life to pastor is the real deal. I am looking forward to preaching more in the future.

2 comments:

TN Bakers said...

so proud of my little brother, the preacher man. I love you! (p.s. I'm very happy to see three new blogs which is why I commented on all of them..haha). Drive safely to Heather's house and tell her family hi from the Bakers. talk to you Thurs. if not before.

mmoeckl said...

Jonathan...I wish I would have heard it.I am proud of you and can't wait to hear you preach someday.