12.09.2008

homemade hot chocolate in a winter wonderland

From Sunday at 10:00 AM to Monday night at midnight, we got hit with the largest snowfall of the year. It was an old fashioned blizzard. I could barely see anything driving home from church. This is the second year in a row that we have had a blizzard on this weekend. We are hoping to get about six more inches in the next couple of days. During the snowfall we hung up the Christmas lights, stockings, and tree in our apartment. It is looking very festive. Tonight I decided to make Heather and myself some hot chocolate. She enjoys Swiss Miss mix with water...basically water with a hint of chocolate flavoring. However, I like the true European style hot chocolate. I melted down chocolate chips, added milk and powdered sugar, and dropped a mini candy cane for a mint flavor. It was really thick, rich, and delicious. There is nothing like Jonathan's old fashioned hot chocolate, on a cold winter's night, up here in Minneapolis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read your blog post... I'm so glad I moved out of Minneapolis! Blizzards can be fun, but not nearly as much fun as they used to be since work doesn't get canceled as often as school did!

And hey, don't make too much fun of Heather for liking Swiss Miss. I'm here to testify that there were times in your younger days when the church office staff didn't get any of their Swiss Miss, because you were in there (and me as well, I admit :D) drinking pack after pack of that stuff!