2.26.2008

God's sense of humor

Even though God has called me to full time vocational ministry, and I do believe that being called to ministry can come in many forms. However, I am pretty sure God is not calling me toward full time children's ministry.

Saturday night around 10:00 I received a call from my pastor, Tory Farina, who was calling for a favor. After I said, "sure whatever you need," he then explained to me that the volunteer who normally does children's church at High Point had the flu. I was thinking that he just wanted me to pray for him that God would heal him before Sunday morning. Well I am sure he did want me to pray for him but he was thinking more along the lines of me doing children's church the next morning. I gladly said yes as I thought to myself that this is going to be quite an experience.

And quite an experience it was. There were only four kids, ages 6-11, one overly excited, curly red head named Oliver, who was willing to assist me in every aspect of the service. He came in most handy when it was time for me to lead praise and worship. He knew all the actions so they other three could follow along. We memorized 1 Corinthians 11:1, ate candy, and watched a video together.

Both my mom and dad, along with Heather, had to chuckle a little bit when they heard that I was going to be leading kid's church. It was a great experience and am thankful God was able to use me to bless the church in that capacity.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

You'll have to have Steve tell you about his kids' church experience!

Kudos to you for plunging ahead in that which is NOT your calling!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for plugging in where we needed you you are a true servant.

Tory

Anonymous said...

That's my boy! Love, Mom